Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Starting Stuff In The Greenhouse

As mentioned in the previous entry, I am getting caught up - or attempting to anyway. So this is from early to late spring. I'm not going to bother "faking" the date although after it's said and done, I might decide to.


I didn't buy any transplants this year as I successfully grew everything in the greenhouse. I am going to buy a couple things that were either less successful or were since eaten by the AH animals.

Getting things started
Grew "Farmstand" and "Best Boy". Both hybrids.
Like last year, I used seeds from "Red Fresno" peppers that I saved from the grocery store. The plants were very prolific last year...I mean almost Gilligan's Island radioactive prolific (if you ever saw that episode). Last year I didn't get many Jalapenos so I used these for the pickled sliced peppers. They're nice in my salads, hot but not as hot as Jalapeno. I also have Jalapeno's of course. I also grew California Wonder, Cayenne and Habanero. Like last year, the Habanero and Cayenne's
are not doing well, and I might buy replacements if they can still be found. The Jalapenos and CW's are doing very well.

For tomatoes, I planted Farmstand and Best Boy, both hybrids. They are doing good so far.

Also from saved seeds (harvested, not saved from last years purchases. ;) ) I grew some Asparagus, Marigolds (of course), the Habanero and Cayenne peppers, Echinacea, Lettuce (Black Seeded Simpson),,,and I believe that's it.

In the foreground, some Egyptian

Onions. Been harvesting them and
the lettuce for my salads (as well
as store-bought Romaine lettuce).
I had saved seeds from an unidentified lettuce. The seeds
are black and most lettuce seeds I've seen are white so 
am guessing that these are Black Seeded Simpson. :)
I bought a small electric heater which helped keep the
seedlings alive, but you need heat to get them to sprout in the

first place. Anyway, using the greenhouse growing definitely
has a learning curve. So I got the seeds started indoors, then 
moved them to the greenhouse and when they were big and
strong enough I transplanted them into individual pots.

No comments:

Post a Comment